Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Hauoli Makahiki Hou!

Aloha Dear Owners, Friends and Readers:

This year, the cry of Happy New Year brings with it a certain relief that tumultuous 2008 is finally behind us.

The upcoming year has yet to come into focus. When I asked about what kind of year 2009 would be, the Magic 8 Ball told me, "Reply hazy, try again." (You might have better luck: http://www.mattelgamefinder.com/demos.asp?demo=mb) Will 2009 be a dream or a nightmare? We'll just have to spin the wheel and see where it lands.

In this interim period of calm between the certainties of the last year and the vagaries of the next, please allow me to wax philosophic for a moment.

Since taking over the General Manager position here, it has been my pleasure to renew old acquaintances and to form new ones. It was a big step to sit in the GM chair, one for which I had been preparing for years. When I arrived back here 10 months ago, we were at the height of the good times with record revenues and ADRs. Today, I'm sure I don't have to tell you, we've been through many months of lean times.

I understand you are hurting financially. I too am feeling the strain of the current economic woes. I have cut our budget to adjust to the times. Housekeepers work only when there is sufficient occupancy to support the number of employees on the schedule. Most days, bellmen schedules have been reduced from 16 hours to 10 hours a day. Angie's position in Housekeeping has been eliminated. And, last week, Kanani retired.

I am working on a revision of our 2009 rates to the Outrigger Maui Eldorado more attractive to Maui visitors. I am taking advantage of every opportunity to get the Outrigger Maui Eldorado name in print (we just booked a travel writer with the Australian Associated Press who will be staying with us for 3 days in January). I am in the midst of an email campaign to remind past guests that we're still here and that we would love to see them again. My goal for 2009 is to get more money in your pockets. Will my plans work to make 2009 a better year than 2008? Can we spur additional occupancy? Are these attempts at gaining additional occupancy even worth it? Frankly, I don't know. But I have to try.

And, last but by no means least, I want to say Thank You. Thank you to all of you who have honored me with your respect. Thank you for your kind words, your understanding, your patience, your friendship. Thank you for understanding that we are partners linked together here at the Maui Eldorado and that our fortunes rise or fall together.

So raise your glass and toast 2009. What comes, comes. Regardless of the circumstances, may we together have the wisdom, intelligence, humor and optimism to make this next year a success.

No comments: